Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked a question about putting regular cell bees on small cell foundation he was wondering what would happen. I would say it is ok to do right after all that's how they get small cell bees right? The queen lays eggs in the cells and when they hatch they are small cell bees right?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have always dumped packages onto small cell plastic frames. No problem.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I regressed nucs of bees habituated to 5.4mm cells onto 4.9mm by surrounding nucs with Mann Lake plastic frames and cycling the large comb out of the colony. Some took to the size rapidly and some made a mess. I scraped the messes off when not full of brood and let them rebuild those portions. By the time they were about 4 deeps high, they seemed to comply with the new standard. SOme colonies took a long long time to get with the program, but eventually got roughly with the program. Of course some colonies make any size of comb knarly and non compliant with the beekeepers wishes.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
>I was asked a question about putting regular cell bees on small cell foundation he was wondering what would happen.

On the PF 100 series they will draw the comb and the queen will lay in it. No issues you wouldn't have with any other plastic foundation and, in my experience, less issues.

On wax 4.9mm foundation, they may draw it very funky until you've had a turnover of brood.

> I would say it is ok to do right after all that's how they get small cell bees right?

Yes, that's how you get small cell bees. If you want small cell bees what you do NOT want to do is put them on large cell foundation. All you will get is large cell bees...

> The queen lays eggs in the cells and when they hatch they are small cell bees right?

Depending on what size the build. With the PF100s (and PF 120s etc.) they will be 4.95mm. With the wax 4.9mm it is hard to say. They MAY be 4.9mm or they may be more like 5.1mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts