Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try out small cell foundation and only had a limited supply so I placed 3 or 4 frames in the center of the second hive body of each of my 4 hives. Is it ok to do this or should the whole second hive body have small cells?

I have too much regular foundation and don't want it to go to waste. I could order some more hive bodies and use them for honey with the regular foundation and order more small cell foundation to make the second hive bodies all small cell.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
amymcg . . .

>loaded it into my shallow frames . . .
Why? Do you plan to raise brood in shallow frames intended for honey storage?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
CW,
With 4 hives, I'd focus on putting it in one hive. I do this and call that my "focus" hive (interesting, hmm?) Doing so, it might be possible to get that hive completely regressed. This will do a few things for you:

1) you'll end up with a hive that is regressed and more willing to make proper small cell comb
2) you'll have a hive that has only SC bees rather than a mix, making comparisions easier
3) You can use the focus hive to draw more comb (either on SC foundation or starter stips or foundationless frames) to regress the other hives (Dee Lusby calls this "pot progressing").

Typically, the first SC foundation won't be drawn perfectly by the LC bees. So putting all that you have into all the hives, you'll end up with poorly drawn SC comb. Smaller than LC probably, just not perfectly drawn.

I've done this "one hive at a time" technique twice already with great results.

Waya

·
Registered
143 Posts
To answer the question, I used the LC foundation cut in half in my shallow frames for HONEY not brood.
I didn't want to waste 50 sheets of LC foundation, so now I can fill 100 shallows.

The brood chambers have SC.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My last box of 50 deep plastic foundation made 400 starter strips. I used a table saw to cut them in 8 strips per sheet. It work great and the bees can't chew them. They staple in the wedged frames easily with a staple gun or air nailer.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I have plastacell foundation so it is either throw it away or use it.

Or find someone who was looking to buy some.

>My last box of 50 deep plastic foundation made 400 starter strips. I used a table saw to cut them in 8 strips per sheet. It work great and the bees can't chew them.

What kind of saw blade did you use? I sure don't like the bits of plastic that hit me when sawing plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts