Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newbie question for the group.

I have read so much about small cell foundation and how it helps with IPM and prevention of varroa mites.

Question: Do the bees have a hard time with the small cell foundation? I read something recently for the first time, that the bees might draw out the comb in a weird fashion, etc.

I ordered small cell foundation for the brood hive and regular foundation for the honey supers.

Please advise.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a newbie question for the group.

I have read so much about small cell foundation and how it helps with IPM and prevention of varroa mites.

Question: Do the bees have a hard time with the small cell foundation? I read something recently for the first time, that the bees might draw out the comb in a weird fashion, etc.

I ordered small cell foundation for the brood hive and regular foundation for the honey supers.

Please advise.

If your bees are not regressed bees it can be big problems.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The latest studies say it does not work. You might notice the current advertisements for small cell are not affirmative. Personally I hope you use small cell so I can get the regular foundation. It is out of stock for a couple weeks in the dimensions and colors I want.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts

Please advise.
I have regressed from 5.4 to 4.9 directly and while they deviate from the cell pattern at times, they draw it out, and it's fully functional. I have also gone from 5.4 to 5.1 and they draw it out nicely, and then I have regressed from 5.1 to 4.9 and they do a better job then going from 5.4 to 4.9 directly. I hope that answers your question.

I also have many honey supers with 5.4 (regular in your words) and they fill it with honey nicely all the while they are on 4.9 and/or 5.1 mm cell size in the brood boxes. I hope that answers your second question.

As far as the bees drawing smaller cell out in a "weird fashion" I have had more problems with them drawing out starter strips then SC foundation. I find I have to alternate a frame with a starter strip, one with a full sheet of foundation, one with a starter strip...you get the picture. This is even after I have leveled the hives perfectly.

Anyway, don't hesitate, give it a try and decide what you like best. Good luck.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Question: Do the bees have a hard time with the small cell foundation?

No. They may not draw it as small as 4.9mm the first try, but they will have no problems with it.

> I read something recently for the first time, that the bees might draw out the comb in a weird fashion, etc.

Maybe. I have not seen this.

>I ordered small cell foundation for the brood hive and regular foundation for the honey supers.

Why? Why not just stick with the small cell?

·
Registered
359 Posts
This year I'm changing all my hives over to foundationless in the brood boxes. there are many benefits to going foundationless. Check out Michael Bush's website and do a search for foundationless on this forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Please note what Betterbee has to say about small cell 4.9

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=288

A growing number of beekeepers are using small cell foundation claiming it helps control varroa and disease. Bees will naturally build cells about 4.9mm in size but most foundations range from 5.1-5.6mm. We are now offering crimp-wired foundation with a 4.9mm cell size for deep brood chambers. Most bees will need to be regressed to the smaller cell size. This is just one more IPM technique that some are using to promote a healthier hive.

Note: Most bees will need to be regressed to the smaller cell size, requiring new frames with small cell foundation be rotated into the hive as it builds in strength.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I say why waist your money? Go with foundationless frames. Although if you already bought the foundation you can easily use it as starter strips. Makes the foundation last a whole lot longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts