Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there some problem that causes small bees or is this just the product of a new queen. They are about a head shorter than the other bees and smaller. I have never noticed this much difference in the size. I will try and take some pictures if i have time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first thought but i looked close and they don't have that i have seen it. Their anatomy is correct with good wigs. And not many mites. The only thing different is they are ghostly like newborns but they can't all be new.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Are they in old comb? Maybe the comb size has decreased from past pupating to where the bees dont have the orginal cell size to develop in???

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
Newly emerged bees are always noticeably smaller. Huber observed this, although he did not sort by age, but by function, when he was observing comb building. Foragers are much larger as their abdomens are stretched from hauling nectar. Bees on natural cells are smaller. Bees on small cell comb are smaller. My bees are all pretty small...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2014-05-21 20.44.02.jpg 2014-05-21 20.55.52.jpg
I think they are just baby bees they must have had a big hatch. But i did find a problem with the queen. What do you guys think requeen or let her go. She is laying good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like a queen that lays well and has lots of baby bees.
Charlie

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yes, the queen butt got injured or crushed at one time but never fully recuperated.
I once pinched that area to replaced her exo back to normal at some. It was my fault to
have crushed her on a marking tube.
Your small bees are caused by the receded old comb cells. I had some older combs (5 yrs) like that
so might be better if you can replace them on the next round to see if this problem still
exist or solved. I now use these old combs for honey combs that will be feeding back to the bees on splits.
Will not use them for brood production for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts