Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ken Schramm breaks it down pretty simple in his book THe Compleat Meadmaker.

small show mead 1-2 lbs per gallon
med show mead 2-3 lbs per gallon
big show mead 3-4 lbs per gallon

3 lbs honey
1 gallon water
1/2 tsp bentonite
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/16 tsp tannin
wine yeast like 71B or KV1
1 campden tablet

once you have the base almost fermented out I suggest adding fruit if you want to make a melomel. raspberries do not take much to come across 1 lbs or less, but strawberries take about 2 lbs or more, blueberries do not add tannin and use more than a lbs. stir daily to know down fruit cap. you can add fruit at the beginning also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
all you have to do is take a recipe you want and scale it down.
Yep, this works fine. Of course you won't want to cut the yeast, or camden down.

Here's a page with a couple recipes for 1 gallon batches.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques28.asp

If you don't know him, Jack Keller is a big name in home winemaking. He's not known for mead, but he makes fantastic wines and would have some insight into meads as well.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Campden IS sulfites... premeasured. The tablets are nice because the powder is easy (very concentrated) to mis-dose over or under. It's been many years, but it used to be 1 tablet per gallon IIRC, so easy to scale to batch size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been years since I've used campden, but I thought that I used 1 tablet for a 5 gallon batch. That's what I was basing it on, tough to cut a tablet into 5ths. Looks like I was wrong, seems the consensus is 1 tablet per gallon.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

I just got done bottling a small batch of honey mead today. I started the recipe about 2 mths ago and i finally took a taste today, it is really good! Here is a material & ingredients list below, Good Luck!!

Ingredients List to purchase from the Supermarket:

1 Gallon of Spring Water (room temperature, do not get refrigerated)
3 pounds of honey – pure unprocessed
1 bag of balloons big enough to stretch over the mouth of the spring water jug
1 package of Fleishmann’s Yeast
1 box of raisins
1 Orange

About the honey

Clover honey works very well but you can use almost any type of unprocessed honey and the amount of honey you use will determine the sweetness of the mead. If you want to make a dry mead you would use 2 pounds of honey and if you want to make a sweet mead you would use about 3.8 pounds of honey. For simplicity sake we are using 3 pounds of honey which will make us a medium to sweet mead. This is the recipe i used and it turned out great.

You can go to this link and find out more info and the step by step directions:
http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts

I just got done bottling a small batch of honey mead today. I started the recipe about 2 mths ago and i finally took a taste today, it is really good! Here is a material & ingredients list below, Good Luck!!

Ingredients List to purchase from the Supermarket:

1 Gallon of Spring Water (room temperature, do not get refrigerated)
3 pounds of honey – pure unprocessed
1 bag of balloons big enough to stretch over the mouth of the spring water jug
1 package of Fleishmann’s Yeast
1 box of raisins
1 Orange

About the honey

Clover honey works very well but you can use almost any type of unprocessed honey and the amount of honey you use will determine the sweetness of the mead. If you want to make a dry mead you would use 2 pounds of honey and if you want to make a sweet mead you would use about 3.8 pounds of honey. For simplicity sake we are using 3 pounds of honey which will make us a medium to sweet mead. This is the recipe i used and it turned out great.

You can go to this link and find out more info and the step by step directions:
http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast-cheap-mead-making.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Going to try your receipe for Econo-mead. I will of course move up to proper winemaking equipment in the fall,but why not try your receipe now. My first boss told me when he was in the Navy, the first thing him and his friends always did when they spent time on an island, was make up a mead type of concoction and hide it in a pit. One time he said they came back to an island and their mead was still hidden away.He said it was some taste stuff. Thanks Honeybeekeeper. :applause:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Disclaimer: I've drunk a little mead and I've brewed a little mead but I really can't claim to be much of a mead type guy. Same is true for most wines too, I just prefer my beer. That does not mean that I have any problem with those who enjoy making and/or drinking mead. Some folks become quite charming and witty as I drink, others become charming and witty as they drink.:)

Is oxidation an issue with mead brewed in a plastic container? There is no way that I would let a beer ferment in a spring water jug for more than a week due to oxidation effects. Somewhere deep in the dark recesses of my mind I seem to recall that some wines benefit from oxidation. Anybody?

George

·
Registered
156 Posts
That Pic of ingredients is from a web site on making mead...
The main article had it fermenting in 1 gal "Glass" jug's..ole apple ceder jug type.
I have a batch 3 weeks into ferment now...it's starting to slow down now.
I will rake it to secondary jug by end of next week, if it slow down enough

I used the method that was in the article with just plain ole honey, water, yeast stuff, and a good sweet mead yeast.... took very well and so far so good....??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep, this works fine. Of course you won't want to cut the yeast, or camden down.
i would recommend cutting both of them.
to much yeast can make the mead taste flat because of the lack of esters, it can add odd flavors like sulfur from not having enough nitrogen, i do not suggest adding the whole packet to one gallon.

i also suggest proportion the camden and other additives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.