Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to small cell foundatiion. Unfotunatly a good part of the frames I got are grooved without wedges.

I am disappointed there are no Duraglt small cell products. Or pre wired.

I amleaning to install a full sheet per frame.

Any tricks?? Or do I have to remove the top bar and cut the wedge?

I have little experiance and have only installed duragilt which was super easy. Now I am faced with wiring........ Kinda nervous about that.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I prefer the frames without the wedge. Buy a "wax tube fastener" from Brushy Mt or Walter T. Kelly. It sounds complicated but goes much faster than nailing all those little nails. You just melt a little wax and dip the wax tube fastener in it and hold your finger over the hole (like holding your finger over the end of a drinking straw) and that holds the wax in. Then you run a bead of wax down in the groove down each side of the foundation. It is much faster than nailing and more secure.

If you're going to wire it you can probably get by without even doing that.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be ellated if I did not have to wire the stuff. That would take forever.

Will the wax flex enough to get it into the top bar?? Or do you remove bottom bar?

Some of these frames do not even have a groove or slit in the bottom bar..... Do you so the wax bead on these as well?

Thanks Michael

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS..... How do you heat the wax tube??

Too bad they don't come up with a device that is like a glue gun.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>I would be ellated if I did not have to wire the stuff. That would take forever.

Wiring has more to do with how soon after you put it in the frames that the bees draw it. It will warp and sag if it's in the frames too long before the bees work it. Once the bees work it it's strong enough without wire (of course not as strong as it is WITH wire).

>Will the wax flex enough to get it into the top bar??

Yes.

>Or do you remove bottom bar?

No.

>Some of these frames do not even have a groove or slit in the bottom bar.....

That's my favorite kind. I hate how the wax moths get in the groove.

>Do you so the wax bead on these as well?

I never have and probably won't. By definition, there is nothing to hold up on the bottom. Besides, I thought you didn't want to do full sheets?

>PS..... How do you heat the wax tube??

The tube is a piece of copper pipe that has a tip soldered so that there is just a tiny hole for the wax to run out. You heat it by simply putting it in the molten wax.

>Too bad they don't come up with a device that is like a glue gun.

Once you have a small can of melted wax (done in a double boiler of course) it works a lot like a glue gun. That's why it's so much faster than nailing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts