Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a solar wax melter and pile up my scrapings up on burlap. The burlap does a fine job of filtering the wax, and gives me sheet of burlap that has all of the right scents to put into swarm traps. I put the sheets on top of the frames in swarm traps.

Last year I made a few sheets that had about a 1/2 inch thick of slum gum on top of the burlap. It was really too thick to use in swarm traps, so it just sat around. I anticipated that the they would just get harder over time. But I was surprised that they were separating. There was a black thick oil coming out of the cake. It stains like ink, and is as thick as honey. I scrapped it off the burlap and put it in a jar with isopropyl alcohol and it made a black liquid quick as you can blink.

First, has anyone else seen this from an old pile of slum gum?

Second, is this oil of any use in conditioning a swarm trap? Has anyone used it before? It's a great wood stain.

Phil

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have observed that dark, viscous liquid. I always thought it was condensed and contaminated (read ruined) honey. :)

P.S. I think your idea using those burlap sheets for a swarm lure sounds interesting. :)

P.P.S. Your use of slum gum would fit well with the Russian Scion too.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I am sure that it must have magical medicinal properties because it comes from bees. Combine it with CBD oil,make a tincture and sell it for $200oz. I am only half joking. J

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I am sure that it must have magical medicinal properties because it comes from bees. Combine it with CBD oil,make a tincture and sell it for $200oz. I am only half joking. J
So only $100oz. :D

Alex

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I am sorry to say that the general public does not see the benefit of "slum gum". But if it was" CBD/Honeybee Hive Extract" it will sell like hotcakes. J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts