Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an elementary question, but has anyone ever had a wax moth infestation with slum gum? I'll be coating the inside of bait hives with it and I'm just curious.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've never heard the term "slum gum" . . .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I take the slum gum that I get from my solar melter, pour it into aluminum pie pans, let it solidify, then put a block (about 6 inch X 10 inch about 1 inch thick) of slum gum in my bait hives.

You can also heat the slum gum and brush on the inside walls, bottom boards of your bait hives. If you are using hives that have been used, you don't need this, and it likely would not help much, but, if you are using newly built equipment it will help to make the bait hive smell like it has been used.

Use 2 to 4 drops LGO.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I saved a bunch of propolis from the bottom of filtered wax comb fallen tree hives, some really old comb, had alot of propolis.... not really slum gum persay. I dried it in the sun, pretty much crumbles now, when rolled in hands becomes sticky smells more like brood comb than propolis. I dissolved it in everclear and brushed on new equipment for this years baiting.

Funny side note, when I put it out to dry in late summer the bees were rolling/shaking in it try to gather in pollen bags I guess...but was not powdery enough, to have enough static to stick.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. At least I won't be the only one using it for bait hives. But,that still leaves the question as to whether or not anyone has seen wax moth or SHB infestations with it?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I don't understand why you have to melt is down if all you are looking for is the smell. Just crush it flat and throw it in the bottom of the hive.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
So freeze it first. How can it be any different than a brood frame left in a trap?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand why you have to melt is down if all you are looking for is the smell. Just crush it flat and throw it in the bottom of the hive.
Because, I'm also rendering the wax.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I slop the half-melted slumgum junk into the bottom of a bait hive. It soaks into the wood and is quite fragrant. No wax moths in it ever, it makes a tough heavy surface. The moths don't bother cakes of wax, and the slumgum dregs are similar solid. Moths will get in the capping frass under a screen in hours, but never hit the solid.

My bait hive use a entrance hole, so the bees are not using the bottom board much.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
But,that still leaves the question as to whether or not anyone has seen wax moth or SHB infestations with it?
NO, never seen any problems. In fact, in Kentucky, wax moth and small hive beetles will not bother the old brood combs if they are completely dry and been out of service for some time. Mine stay in the swarm box all year, and they never bother them.

cchoganjr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts