Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught 3 swarms this year and my first swarm was doing really well and it seems that there are alot of new bees. But it seems like they have really slowed down on building new comb. I was feeding but I think that they are just storing. I stopped feeding hoping that they will maybe start drawing wax. When I did the inspection the frames are full of brood and full of bees. They have 5.5 deep frames drawn. Would a super be helpful or not I was wanting to wait for 7 to 8 frames drawn.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I would keep feeding 1:1 and watch them to make sure they don't plug all the cells. My go to method on drawing comb is to place the foundation frames one at a time in the heart of the brood nest between brood frames. The bees really want to fix their brood nest and draw the comb out and lay in it. After it is complete and full of brood, repeat with another frame. Stop feeding when you put the super on of course. A little lemon grass oil emulsified in syrup will keep the bees consuming syrup when nectar outside the hive is available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts