Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee question:
I have two hives, both new this year. Each has two deeps which had packages installed May 1. Although one is stronger than the other, both hives have done well, building comb and expanding nicely. I placed two honey supers (mediums) on each, with wax foundation in the frames. I did NOT place an excluder.

I have taken a look twice in two weeks and although the bees are up there in the honey super, there is very little progress in terms of drawing comb. They have been there, they have even been placing propolis, and the frames were all stuck to the super, which was encouraging. However, comb development seems a bit slow to me. Am I being too impatient? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yeah, probably being too impatient, you may well be experiencing the summer dearth in your location as I am here in Southern Ohio. For me to get comb drawn it needs to be done in May during the heavy spring flow. Bees are really conservative creatures they will not draw an ounce of wax unless it is absolutely necessary. :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
In my area as well 90% of the comb drawing happens in may and late April. Leaving undrawn wax foundation in over the summer is likely to result in it being ruined. I would take off any whole boxes at least. Then be ready to put it back when/if a fall flow starts. Here that would be when you see goldenrods around August 25 or so.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Same situation here. I put boxes on 2 colonies about a week ago. There has been no drawing activity for either group. For our area I suspect we are in a nectar dearth. There is a lot of dutch clover in the lawns, which the bees had ignored earlier. Now I see a lot of bees on the clover. I think there is not much else out there.

Phil

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am up the road a little ways from you. Last year was my first year, and I noticed the very same thing that you are noticing. I took the mediums off for the summer and put them back on in the beginning of August. My hives did each draw a medium super.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts