Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my weak hive I added the third brood box around the first week of July and I checked them today and they have not even started drawing it out.Any suggestions?Also my strong hive I put the first honey super on the same day and got the same these bees have not even started working it untill last week.Both hives were eight or more frames drawn out when I put the the boxes on.Was there anything that I could have done or can do if it is not to late

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Has either hive swarmed this year? I only run two broodchambers. I find they will move up into new boxes when they get ready. Sometimes you can coax them up by moving a few frames of open brood up into the center of the new box. How has your flow been? Are you currently in a dearth, or drought? These things all factor into whether a hive will move into empty space fast or slow. If they arn't moving into it, chances are they don't need it yet.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
ken

around here there's not much of a flow going
I suspect it's the same there
with no flow they just don't need any more space so they won't draw comb
it's a common problem
you might be able to trick em by feeding thin syrup

Dave

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sourwood just stopped last week I thought that they would have plenty because I've got around fifteen mature trees within 1/4 mile of the hives.I think I might try the 1'1 sugar syrup.Also these are two packages that I got this spring and as far as I know they have not swarmed but I've had A problem with my bees from the weak hive drifting over to the strong hive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts