Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking we're about 2 weeks late this year, so far. We'll be 3 to 4 weeks late by the time we get into spring around here. In my little corner of Montana we're stuck in the low forties and upper thirties for the next few days so not much is happening. A few cherries have opened, dandelions are everywhere, and apples are still a week or two of decent temps from opening. These cold and cloudy days are keeping the bees in their boxes and preventing flows from really getting started. Willows are done. Our normal high temp is 70 f now, yesterday was in the thirties, we busted into the low forties today. Too cloudy for flying. I'll be glad when we get near seasonal temps. I hope your flows are better.

Lee

·
Registered
237 Posts
Seems to be the same here in Michigan. Hopefully when it does warm up the queens will start laying like mad so we can a least get a couple weeks of the July flow. Things are blooming every where here but the bees can't send the full force out because of the cold nasty weather, but they are moving every chance they get. I think they know they may have to kick it up a notch this year if they want to survive!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Unsplit colonies are plotting evil and building swarm cells in their global warming induced in hive captivity! You might want to watch the 1960's skep beekeeping you tube videos to get ready for swarm catching.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unsplit colonies are plotting evil and building swarm cells in their global warming induced in hive captivity! You might want to watch the 1960's skep beekeeping you tube videos to get ready for swarm catching.
I saw that video, I think I need a stump, a pipe, and a nice bee bag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts