Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Slovenia this past September. The wife and I had to visit the old Beekeeping Museum.

The first picture is of old queen cages.

Second picture is of an old honey extractor/comb smasher.

Third picture is of an old cart used to transport the hives.

Fourth picture is of old hive face art. This is a large part of Slovenian culture.

The fifth picture is an old comb foundation roller.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are two more pics. One describes the Hive art history. The other is of a great Slovenian apiary we visited in a small village outside of Lake Bled.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great post. I would really like to go there one day. I'm sure it is a beautiful place. The hive fronts and some of the hives made to look like houses and churches are very interesting also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great post. I would really like to go there one day. I'm sure it is a beautiful place. The hive fronts and some of the hives made to look like houses and churches are very interesting also.
It's beautiful country. The Slovenian Hives are interesting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. We did a tour of an apiary. The beekeeper was great and extremely proud of their beekeeping culture. He didn't have very positive things to say about the hive we commonly use in the US. However, he did like that you can keep adding boxes for honey production. You can't really do that with the Slovenian hives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts