Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had what I consider a major incident this past weekend with my trailer. I had about 6 ton of stuff on it and while going down the highway at 55MPH my tire was tore off the hub. Every lug was sheared clean off. After a psuedo roadside repair I limped it another 7 hours to home. Well I worked on it today and found out the real cause was broken center bolt on springs and missing leafs. So I guess it loosened enough and snapped off my ubolts and away went my wheel.

This is the 3rd time I have had spring issues with this trailer in 18 months. I do mostly use it to haul my loader and it does go off road with me. Is this 6ton trailer not tough enough for my 7k loader?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Taking a wild guess, missing leafs usually means they broke first, then the center bolt broke, and the axle shifted(or the axle shifted, shearing the center bolt.

Did the wrapper break?

Do you do a pre-trip inspection on your springs?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I quit leaf springs years ago because of similar problems. Switch over to tork flex axles and your troubles will be over.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm no big fan of slipper springs, but they are effective and simple. Springs are an item that is often overlooked diring "pre-trip" inspections. I really only do an in depth inspection once a year when i check brakes and repack bearings. I don't like to see rust on springs, so I regularly (every year or two) pull the spring pack apart and make sure they are good to go between the leaves and that the center pin is in good condition. I know i do more by way of preventative maintenance than most, but i have a wife that gets especially, lets just say 'uncivilized,' anytime we're delayed due to a mechanical failure. I have learned my lesson.

If you really think its a spring issue, you could simply repalce with quality springs, or convert easily to a shackle spring set-up.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I quit leaf springs years ago because of similar problems. Switch over to tork flex axles and your troubles will be over.
DITTO... I have 300 thousand miles on a swinger trailer (torsion axle) and have not had one issue in over 20 years besides those caused by the guy who puts nails and bolts on the road so I can support the local tire shop.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking a wild guess, missing leafs usually means they broke first, then the center bolt broke, and the axle shifted(or the axle shifted, shearing the center bolt.

Did the wrapper break?

Do you do a pre-trip inspection on your springs?

Crazy Roland
I do pretrip inspections. Once I notice uneven tire wear I should have just pulled it apart for an indepth inspection. As it turns when I pulled the other spring set off the opposing side the wrapper was broke loose on it, but center bolt still intact. I ordered new springs from ******* and should have it all back together this Saturday.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get a Dexter axle.
Good call. I did that 2 years ago. Im actually not impressed with Dexter axles and am not sure how Dexter axles will help my broken ubolt/spring issue. Please enlighten me on that.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm no big fan of slipper springs, but they are effective and simple. Springs are an item that is often overlooked diring "pre-trip" inspections. I really only do an in depth inspection once a year when i check brakes and repack bearings. I don't like to see rust on springs, so I regularly (every year or two) pull the spring pack apart and make sure they are good to go between the leaves and that the center pin is in good condition. I know i do more by way of preventative maintenance than most, but i have a wife that gets especially, lets just say 'uncivilized,' anytime we're delayed due to a mechanical failure. I have learned my lesson.

If you really think its a spring issue, you could simply repalce with quality springs, or convert easily to a shackle spring set-up.
Its tough to keep rust off springs in the wild north east where they use 20 ton of sand and 15 ton of salt every 5 miles this time of year.

I do as much pretrip as I feel I need to which is nothing more than looking at stuff. Ubolts in place and look tight. Nothing out of ordinary. Apparently not the case. Should I start smacking the ubolt plate to check for movement during pretrips? I really dont need to waste time pulling apart my springs for cleaning, lubing and bolt back together annually though I have thought about just simply replacing the all spings and Ubolts once a year now as I just did this 18 months ago when I put in my new axles.

I have also considered switching them to shackle spring style with the axle under the springs instead of on top but that means I have to buy more axles as the ones I have are drop axles. It also makes me think about just parting ways with this trailer and buying a 10 ton dozer trailer for hauling my loader. Though I think its overkill to buy a trailer that weighs 6.5k just to haul a 7k loader.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was waiting for you to mention the tork flex axles. I hear that if you overload them, they are instantly ruined.

How do they hold up with going across tractor ruts in fields with a loader on it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its tough to keep rust off springs in the wild north east where they use 20 ton of sand and 15 ton of salt every 5 miles this time of year.

I have also considered switching them to shackle spring style with the axle under the springs instead of on top but that means I have to buy more axles as the ones I have are drop axles.
We're no strangers to road salt here in Michigan! it certainly makes for some time consimung repairs when every bit of hardware is rusted in palce...then again, you can save weight be skipping the lock washers :lpf:

There must be something about yuor axles that i have not seen before if you're unable to just change from spring over to spring under. Everything i have seen and done this to involved doing little more than drilling new locating holes for the spring center pins and rebolting hardware. maybe relocating spring perches depending on set-up. It's amazing waht a difference just a few inches can make when loading and unloading a trailer.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I was waiting for you to mention the tork flex axles. I hear that if you overload them, they are instantly ruined.

How do they hold up with going across tractor ruts in fields with a loader on it?
I have had two bobcat trailers, each of which had numerous spring issues which I believe were related to how easily the trailer would high center in rough off road conditions putting undue stress on the leaf spring set up. We had the axles replaced with tork flex axles and haven't had another issue with them in the nearly 10 years since. My opinion is leaf spring axles just aren't designed for the rigors of the tough off-road conditions beekeepers often put the through like a tork flex axle. We currently run 3 such trailers and have yet to have a single issue with any of them, the only downside is your machines ride a bit higher and require longer ramps for loading/unloading.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont mind the height adjustment. In fact after having this lowboy style trailer I prefer a deckover design. Never had issues running equipment on and off deck overs. I think to have tork flex axles installed I would have to have the underside of my trailer modified to support those axles.

If I were to run standard shack style springs I still need new axles as my axles are drop axles. I guess I could have a new perch welded on top side of axle tube and another perch added to front for shackle mounting. For now I will stick with the current configuration as I am heading to my bees in ~7 days. Time enough to put everything back together.

Love the comment about the lock washers. I am still considering the 10 ton trailer. Maybe a nice addition for a 10 wheeler.

·
Registered
159 Posts
B, just south of you is a big tex dealer, in PA they carry both bumper and gooseneck trailers. That is where I picked mine up. Have had no issues with it, 25 ft - 22500 lb deckover gooseneck. $7500, but well worth it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your axles are oil bath axles?

Big Tex are nice trailers. The 10 ton tag trailer I looked at is from CAM. Its 11,500. A little pricey for a tag trailer. I will have to look at the trailer place in Pa. I don't mind running there to get it. Time for a new trailer anyway. I think I will just try and get thru this spring season with it for now.

Whats the name of the trailer place you bought from?

·
Registered
159 Posts
same trailer as mine, but mine is a gooseneck. I checked ebay for prices, found it cheaper, called them, told them what I could get it for from other store, they matched it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Ill call Big Tex direct and ask them. They are cheaper on site for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts