Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept bees for about 7 or 8 yrs now. Everytime I was shopping on mannlake or Dadant any of them. The slatted rack always caught my eye. I never got. This year I pulled the trigger and got one for each hive. I wish they sold nuc size racks. So I always look on inspection if the rack is good or not. I'll say this alot of bees hang out on the slatted rack. It actually looks very packed with bees down there. It must work the bees like it. I may buy a 10 frame rack and cut it in half and use it on the nucs. I'm curious on others opinion on the rack.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I threaded a 1/4" hanger bolt into my slatted racks. I use it to attach entrance reducers, robber screens, mouse guards. Half my hives have them, half don't. I haven't noticed less bearding, but the queen does use the lower front part of the comb since the rack isolates it from the entrance, where it is less well utilized in hives without the slatted racks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,528 Posts
the Slatted rack separates the comb/nest from the entrance. also helps to reduce draft. Somewhat like a porch, place for the bees to hang out,, out of the way of the hussle and bussle of the nest activities.

I also have looked several times at using them. One more thing to build, so at this point not using,, but the idea seems congruent with the keeping in the Lang type hive.

GG

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have been using them since my second year and I think they are great, I use them on all of my 10 frame hives. It seems to turn the hive bottom board into more of a staging area rather than right outside the hive. I notice a lot less bearding and even robbing to an extent. That solid part of the rack thats about 4 inches long extends the entrance inside the hive, so to speak, so robbing bees and other invaders have to fight through a lot more guard bees before they can even turn the corner to get up into the hive.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For $20 bucks. Just order them. I build most my stuff to. It's getting to the point I dont feel like building it. I bought a 8 frame bottom board 2 deep brood boxes. Inner cover and a plastic ultimate bee hove cover. The plastic one. For right over 100 bucks. Much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm taking it that they are good. They do what's meant to done. I like them too. So far anyway. You leave them on during winter right?

·
Registered
457 Posts
All year long, barely ever tough them unless I have a dead-out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts