Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this slatted board laying around for a while. Finally put it together last night. Was gonna give it a test shot this coming spring and summer. Then this question/thought dawned on me.

Does the slat board over a SBB kind of defeat the purpose of the SBB. Seems that the mites will fall and some will land on the slats and be able to sit and wait on another bee to pick up on. Are my thoughts off?

Just curious is I was wasting my time on the slats with a SBB...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I run SBB's on all of my hives. I've got a few slatted racks as well. I'm trying to firgure out if it's worth it as well. If you've got bearding issues when it gets hot the slated racks definately help. The queen seems more likely to lay all the way to the bottom of the bottom deep as well. If you've got the slatted rack version that runs parrallel with the frames then the majority of the mites who loose their grip will indeed fall through to the SBB. The front cap that goes over the entrance is the area where the mites have somewhere safe to land though. I'll be building a couple of slated racks this winter that don't have this cap to see how it performs. Supposidly the slated rack decreases congestion and thus the impulse to swarm. I haven't noticed this in my experiences though.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Like you, I had some slatted bottom board kits laying around from years ago when I re-entered beekeeping. I decided to use them, but because of the mite problem, I re-oriented the slats. I had to make new ones... Instead of running them ACROSS the hive, I ran them FRONT to BACK. I made a jig to give the slats the same spacing as the bottom bars of my frames. Thus if a mite fell, it had a free fall all the way thru the screened bottom board!

Now, has the additional piece of equipment been worth it? Not 100% sure. It has reduced congestion and bearding. The 4" wide inner slat across the front of the board gives more defensive space for the guard bees. So all in all I'm going to keep using them, even make more as I expand...
Regards,
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts