Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few threads on skunks and I now have an issue with them. I installed about 11 nucs yesterday and left the empty nucs boxes in front of each hive so the few remaining bees could enter the hive. The boxes were an attraction to the skunks overnight, and they also pulled out my entrance reducers. I would appreciate any practical thoughts on stopping the skunks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've never trapped a skunk, but many of ***** and opossums. You could wait there at night with a .22 or even a pellet gun to the head might work if you're worried about sound and neighbors. Or buy a 40$ live trap and kill them then, or relocate them if your into that. Or, you could buy an electric fence and that would protect from bears too.

If relocating, just put a tarp down in the back of car, van, etc., and put the trap with skunk inside on that and a towel or more tarp covering the trap and skunk. That will keep him from going nuts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sic your dog on them.
Hit them with a short stick.
Punt them.
Release a black and white striped cat near your hives.
;-)

·
Registered
136 Posts
AR1, they'll probably just come back. I put some chetos out for a raccoon and when I heard, "crunch crunch crunch" my dad'd shine the light on them and I'd fwap them with a slingshot. Five minuets later: "crunch crunch crunch". And so it continued until I went to sleep... granted a slingshot doesn't do much, but I'd think they would come back the same.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have lots of skunks in my yard, it is hopeless trying to catch them as new ones would take their place (they are territorial and will not let a nice place (with food source) to go dormant).
My solution was placing rolled chicken wire in front of all hives, that solved the problem permanently.
Here is before and after:

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I first got into beekeeping, I took a course and the instructor (or was great and is still a friend) told us that the stands should elevate the hive landing board a least a foot off the ground. This was because while guard bees can't get through the skunk's fur, on a raise hive, the have to expose that soft white underbelly where the guard bees can sting them. I also heard once from another beekeeper to put down roofing asphalt shingles in front as the skunk's foot pads are every sensitive. The third option is a foot wide nail strip (nails up) complete across the ground infront of the hives. I kinda like mine better and a two hive stand can be done with (4) 2x4x8's and (1) 1x6 x12. We do have skunks around but they haven't hit any on my hives. I'm an engineer and this hive stand screwed together will hold 1000 lbs. -definite over design but they look good in the Momma's IMG_2446.JPG garden.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have lots of skunks in my yard, it is hopeless trying to catch them as new ones would take their place (they are territorial and will not let a nice place (with food source) to go dormant).
My solution was placing rolled chicken wire in front of all hives, that solved the problem permanently.
Here is before and after:
I agree. So I just ordered some spite nail strips for pests. They should be here in a day from Amazon and I will place them in front of each hive. Should work for ***** and other interested critters, I hope. If not I will try the chicken wire.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
There have been a few threads on skunks and I now have an issue with them. I installed about 11 nucs yesterday and left the empty nucs boxes in front of each hive so the few remaining bees could enter the hive. The boxes were an attraction to the skunks overnight, and they also pulled out my entrance reducers. I would appreciate any practical thoughts on stopping the skunks.
I installed an electric fence. no more skunks or anything else for that matter. I have a 3.5 joule energizer that gives a powerful 7000 volt punch. I had my game cam capture a fox that tried to sneak in and the pic was of him with his ears pinned back and geeting out of there as fast as he could.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
You can also use carpet tack strips turned up, (sharp pointy nails up). tack or screw them to the landing board with the nails pointing inward toward the hive. When the skunk puts his front paws on the landing board he will get a paw full of tacks.

You can live trap them also, put a tarp over the trap when you set it, after the catch is made cover the trap completely and be gentle. Have relocated several that way.

Personally I prefer a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I first got into beekeeping, I took a course and the instructor (or was great and is still a friend) told us that the stands should elevate the hive landing board a least a foot off the ground. This was because while guard bees can't get through the skunk's fur, on a raise hive, the have to expose that soft white underbelly where the guard bees can sting them. I also heard once from another beekeeper to put down roofing asphalt shingles in front as the skunk's foot pads are every sensitive. The third option is a foot wide nail strip (nails up) complete across the ground infront of the hives. I kinda like mine better and a two hive stand can be done with (4) 2x4x8's and (1) 1x6 x12. We do have skunks around but they haven't hit any on my hives. I'm an engineer and this hive stand screwed together will hold 1000 lbs. -definite over design but they look good in the Momma's View attachment 63261 garden.
I was going to comment the same. Raise the hives if they're not already. And the skunks should hopefully leave them alone because of having to lift their belly to get to the bees. I use cinder blocks and 2 x 4's to make hive stands that hold about 3 or 4, 10 frame hives (2 - 2x4's and 4 cinder blocks)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Personally I prefer a 12 gauge.
.22 is cheaper. I have a Savage bolt-action with a nice big variable power scope on it.

I was pricing other ammo recently and dam, that stuff has got expensive. My Mac-11 can eat 3/5 of a box in less than 2 seconds, and 9mm seems to be going for more than $60/box around here.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
I agree with the .22, but there are too many subdivisions that have moved in around me now, just not safe enough. I am out of shotgun range from any houses.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree with the .22, but there are too many subdivisions that have moved in around me now, just not safe enough. I am out of shotgun range from any houses.
Sometimes I forget that not everyone lives out in the boondocks. I've become spoiled here where machine guns and suppressors are legal, and constitutional carry is the law of the land.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
You simply install skunk-proof robbing screen and go catch your Z's.
Once the skunks don't get rewarded by eating bees nightly, they just move on elsewhere.

PS: yea, I also have nails on this pic; though I am a bit afraid of an accident waiting to happen with the nails, but do have a couple nail boards too, handy (good use for trash nails).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Got a possum living under my shed. Have seen scat that appeared to be 100% bee parts. Funny looking critters. I just leave it alone. Been there, or at least some possum has been there for about a decade.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This may be a dumb idea but why not just raise them higher?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts