Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, thought somebody could help out with an opinion or two, family member has been out of their house for weeks now due to a skunk that sprayed multiple times under their front porch. Smell has infiltrated whole house due to cracks in foundation.

My question - should this be covered by homeowner's insurance, at least for the animal trapper and things they've thrown away (some clothes, drapes, area rugs). Unfortunately the skunk hasn't been caught yet, and I'm worried that some kind of tunnels/nests are left behind to attract future skunks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Set a hive up 10 feet away from house. Load .22 rifle. Sit on it until critter comes out to eat bees. Do I have to explain the rest? Other than that, I would try a box trap; then use the .22 rifle or the closest creek. :D

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Get a pesticide sprayer and soak the underside of the porch with tomato juice. Tomato juice does wonders for knocking down skunk odor. Dogs (and people) have had tomato juice baths more than once after tangling with a skunk.

My question - should this be covered by homeowner's insurance, at least for the animal trapper and things they've thrown away (some clothes, drapes, area rugs).

I believe this is known as an act of God and would not be covered by homeowner's insurance.

Were the clothes, drapes, and rugs stored under the porch and get soaked with musk? Washing a few times with tomato juice or baking soda should get rid of the odor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not trying to be smart but when my dog got sprayed the vet said to get a six pack of Massingil disposable douche and wash him down.To my amazement it really works.You might need more than a six pack for a whole house.You might try an ozone treatment from someplace that does fire restoration.Good luck

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Probably vinegar ingredient. Vinegar is an old-time remedy for skunk smell, also a common ingredient in douches to adjust the PH of the water. Cheaper to just buy a bottle of vinegar I suspect.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
A live trap baited with some rotting eggs should catch the skunk. As for the smell the sooner everyone moves back in the sooner they will get used to it.:D It will go away with time.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As Beeslave said - a live trap baited, but I've had great luck using sardines. Then once the skunk is trapped and odors neutralized, make sure the home is skunk-proofed so they don't get a repeat.

Two more pieces of advice: durlable tarp over the trap and open/release the critter a long distance from their home. The tarp keeps anyone from being sprayed. Or, if the wrong animal is captured, the neighbors don't see their cat being hauled off in a see through cage. To shoot or not is their decision. Most pest control companies perform this sort of service, aand some will do odor neutralizing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are many different versions of homeowners insurance. The agent ought to be able to clear up what's covered and what's not. The agent could probably also direct the family member to a reliable pest removal service.

Walt

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
From what I know about orders amonia might neturlize the oder.

I have two big rats living in my house right now. They are smart enough to avoid traps of all sorts. I am have to wait until they go outside before I posion them. I be tempted to fix it so the skunk can leave from underneith your house and not get back under.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
From what I know about orders amonia might neturlize the oder.

I have two big rats living in my house right now. They are smart enough to avoid traps of all sorts. I am have to wait until they go outside before I posion them. I be tempted to fix it so the skunk can leave from underneith your house and not get back under.
try a live trap- baited,open, and unset for a couple days. good luck,mike
P.S. if this helps i want a discount...:)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Use a smear of peanut butter on the pan of a #3 trap set with a hair trigger and it will catch the rat by its body and kill it instantly.
This is what I use on the pack rats we have in this part of the country and they can be smarter than a smart coyote ever thought about being!
One word of caution though, don't set the trap near anything the rat can chew up if the trap don't kill it right away! Speaking from experience on this one, my wife still reminds me about the new lawn chairs that I need to buy with my honey money to replace the old ones that have shredded webbing in them! :D
A can of tuna or sardines in the back of raccoon sized life trap will catch the skunk. When you catch the skunk cover the trap slowly and carefully with an old blanket approaching from the upwind side and let the skunk smell the blanket (never startle and if the skunk turns his rear end toward you back off) prior to covering the trap.
The skunk won't spray when covered with the blanket. Take the skunk swimming in a deep spot and retrieve your trap in 2-4 days.
Works everytime and is orderless.
Mtn. Bee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts