Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I understand is left by a bee eating skunk

I once saw a possum reaching into a hive, but the bees ran it off before I could get back to it. So far they haven't been a serious problem.

Skunked Bees.jpg

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
That scat is solid bee wings! I would consider it a serious problem and deal with it. The easiest solution is close bottom entrances and replace with upper or mid level entrance where critter has to stand up and expose less hairy belly. This allows bees to drive the critter off instead of it eating a pound a night of bees. Just cause you see one pile of scat, that does not mean it is the only one.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I had a terrible problem with skunks too. Tried raising the hives, carpet tack strips at the entrances. It helped reduce some of the problem, but then the bees became increasingly testy with persistent nightly harassment. Next step was to eliminate the skunks. That worked for a while, but Nature Abhors a Vacuum. More skunks migrated in fairly quickly to fill the void.

Trying upper entrances immediately solved the problem, thanks to Michael Bush. It took a bit of getting used to and some minor changes in inspection procedure, but now I don't ever have to worry about skunks or possums again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Electric fence wire can work wonders. They make electric netting too. I often initially bait the electric fences i put up by hanging a few strips of aluminum foil smeared with peanut butter from the wires. Sounds kinda mean but it's better than shooting em! Negative reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should have said, persistent problem.

I had been putting on entrance reducers when I noticed this, so naturally I went back and checked the others.
Fortunately this was the only one.

I read somewhere that the skunks just sucked the juice out of them and spit out the wad. I don't know if this is true, but it didn't appear to be anything other than bees. :scratch:

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts