Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Have any of you experienced skinks (a kind of lizard) living under your hive. I believe that they are there because they like to eat the bees. I have not seen any sign of them in the hive itself. I wonder how much of a risk they pose to the hive. Any thoughts?
Thank you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I love skinks... There is a particularly lovely one called the 5 Lined Skink. The juveniles have a blue tail. I had a friend whose cats would eat them, and then get really stoned. There is apparently something in their skin that acts as a weird dope, at least for cats. I have never tried eating one.

They will eat ants, crickets, beetles, wax moths and beetle larva and if they get the opportunity they will probably eat a bee or two. I doubt he could put a hurting on a beehive. I would consider it beneficial fauna... outside the hive. I wouldn't want one inside the hive per-se. But I would certainly not bother the skinks or anoles here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love skinks... There is a particularly lovely one called the 5 Lined Skink. The juveniles have a blue tail. I had a friend whose cats would eat them, and then get really stoned. There is apparently something in their skin that acts as a weird dope, at least for cats. I have never tried eating one.

They will eat ants, crickets, beetles, wax moths and beetle larva and if they get the opportunity they will probably eat a bee or two. I doubt he could put a hurting on a beehive. I would consider it beneficial fauna... outside the hive. I wouldn't want one inside the hive per-se. But I would certainly not bother the skinks or anoles here.
What he said. That goes for anoles, dragonflies, and some bird species too. Anoles love to hang around my hive entrances. I'm sure they ate a few bees. Never caused a problem.

Absinthe, you ARE the one to answer the questions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What he said. That goes for anoles, dragonflies, and some bird species too. Anoles love to hang around my hive entrances. I'm sure they ate a few bees. Never caused a problem.

Absinthe, you ARE the one to answer the questions.
I answer what I know, too bad I don't know the important things... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts