Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When individuals are trying to go to Small Cells in order to help control mite population, does this mean that eventually the bees are smaller as well.

If so, it is because the cell is so much smaller and that less food is given to the brood by the nurse bees.

If the bees are indeed smaller, then my logical conclusion is that it takes alot more smaller bees to make the same quantity of honey that the larger cell bees make. Yes???

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes, i believe so, but since the baby bees individually take up less resources more of them can be raised, keeping the honey amounts the same. i think thats how it works, but i have don't have the experience to back it up.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense -- Just curious how many more small cells can be put on a deep frame than what is at the larger cell?

·
Registered
25 Posts
im not sure, i think i have read something dee lusby said about 1250 more bees being hatched out of a (deep) frame of small cell comb than large cell comb every 21 days (brood cycle). someone may have better or more correct information on this.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
That's not been my experience. Bees will be smaller, but not necessarily more populous in my experience. The premise that bigger bees bring more honey was the impetus for large-cell foundation way back when, but it doesn't seem to hold water (or nectar :D). I don't know if I've seen any controlled inquiries in to # of bees for given colony size comparing SC/NC to large-cell.

I don't think bee size (or cell size) is much pf a player in honey production, compared to all the other important factors.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
According to observations about smaller bees by Brother Adam they fly further and cash in on nectar sources the larger bees can't.

According to a small study published in ABJ a few years ago smaller bees are more productive.

According to Dee Lusby's observation they are a lot more productive.

According to my observations, I see no noticeable difference in productivity if we are comparing large bees before Varroa. On the other hand, all my large cell bees died, so they are not very productive anymore and only the small cell bees are still alive, which means they are infinitely more productive. :)

·
Banned
840 Posts
On the other hand, all my large cell bees died, so they are not very productive anymore and only the small cell bees are still alive, which means they are infinitely more productive.
He's got a point there.

Big Bear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts