Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, weird observation I noticed today on my inspection of my overwintered top bar hive. It's a prosperous hive I have been managing to prevent swarming all spring and I came in yesterday to use it for starting a cell builder. It has many empty queen cups that I've seen most of spring, but out of nowhere, i saw a capped queen cell on the edge of a comb. I was very surprised and opened it, revealing a large larvae inside. There were no other capped swarm cells or any with eggs or larvae I could see. I found fresh eggs in other parts of the hive so I know the queen has been there at most three days ago. I can't find a good explanation for this single swarm cell unless it was a superecedure or they were planning on breaking it down soon. Has anyone seen this before?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Has anyone seen this before?
If you asking about a beekeeper destroying a supercedure cell and putting their hive in jeopardy? Yes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, not sure what I was hoping I would see, an empty capped cell? I guess if they were to break them down, it would likely have been before they were capped

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’ve had a couple do that one was an old queen the other I’m not to sure. I plan on requeening with some new queens I just grafted I certainly don’t want a supercedure queen from her.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Ok, confession time. The beekeeper that destroyed the supercedure cell was me. It was an accident. The cell was atrached to the screened bottom and when I pulled the frame up, it ripped open the cell and the purple eyed larva fell out. Had to buy a queen. I had been a beekeeper for about 2 months at the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you find bees prefer to supercede towards the tail end of the main years flow or is it equally likely throughout the year?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,546 Posts
Hi everyone, weird observation I noticed today on my inspection of my overwintered top bar hive. It's a prosperous hive I have been managing to prevent swarming all spring and I came in yesterday to use it for starting a cell builder. It has many empty queen cups that I've seen most of spring, but out of nowhere, i saw a capped queen cell on the edge of a comb. I was very surprised and opened it, revealing a large larvae inside. There were no other capped swarm cells or any with eggs or larvae I could see. I found fresh eggs in other parts of the hive so I know the queen has been there at most three days ago. I can't find a good explanation for this single swarm cell unless it was a superecedure or they were planning on breaking it down soon. Has anyone seen this before?
Well,, I guess you could call 1 queen cell ,, Confidence...
Likely a supercedure attempt, Likely they may try again.
GG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts