Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am wondering what the general consensus is regarding beginners running single or double brood boxes. I have looked into the topic and it seems there are fans on both sides of this topic but I have not seen what the general recommendation is for beginners. Any info is helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No, it is a bad idea for a beginner.

You'll get better information if you can furnish better information. We have no idea where you are, nor even a clue about your agricultural zone.

For example, if you were in a cold agricultural zone 4 or lower, or you were in a very warm zone 8B / 9 or higher with lots of precipitation, then maybe trying a single brood box as a beginner might be OK. But if you were in middle zones 5B, 6, or 7, or zone 8A inland or at elevation, then it would be inadvisable as a beginner, and some locations in those zones are even inadvisable for experienced beekeepers. Without that information, no one can give you a better answer right now except the lowest common denominator answer that is "No, it is a bad idea for a beginner."

Go here to find out what zone you live in: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/# Then come back here and at the top of the web page in the top right corner click on settings. On the left hand side find where it says edit profile. Click that. Enter your agricultural zone and your location and click save changes. If you don't want to be specific that you live in Smallville, then a little more vague entry like West Podunk County KX is better than nothing. Your state has five zones. I wouldn't advise trying it in three of those zones.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The general consensus is to not experiment with alternative beekeeping styles until you have learned how to keep bees. The double deep or triple medium brood chamber almost always works. Confining the brood into a smaller area is a more advanced topic. I use all double deep or medium over deep for my hives. Had two that could have been managed as singles since they filled the upper deep with honey and didn't touch my supers. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in zone 5a. From the looks of the responses it looks like the single brood box may not be a good idea for a beginner in this area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts