Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a simple harmony roller uncapper and would like some feedback on how the bees like it and do they clean it up.

Appreciate the feedback!

·
Premium Member
Next Year: 8-Frame Mediums
266 Posts
How big are those wheels? Curious, related to how close to the top bar they will get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize..I wasn't very clear with my question. I am wondering how the bees do with cleaning up and repairing the comb after going thru the rollers. Videos make it look like it really tears up the top of the comb pretty good as compared to slicing it off with a hot knife.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I’m no expert, but we used one of those spikey-roller things to de-cap this year in the bee yard. Bees seemed to deal with that pretty easily and the last time I looked they were busy packing syrup in them and re-capping.

·
Registered
About 30 hives
789 Posts
I apologize..I wasn't very clear with my question. I am wondering how the bees do with cleaning up and repairing the comb after going thru the rollers. Videos make it look like it really tears up the top of the comb pretty good as compared to slicing it off with a hot knife.
They fix it right back, no problem, That spiky roller is all you need unless you have a ton to do though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used one of the Simple Harmony decappers this year and the bees cleaned it up and rebuilt refilled it with no issues. A hot knife decapped cell probably takes less work for them to repair but I didn’t notice that they had any problem with the SH frames.
The SH decapper is great for those frames that aren’t drawn out far enough for the hot knife or ones that are built unevenly. It was a great timesaver for me.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I used one of the Simple Harmony decappers this year
How big are the wheels? And how close to the top bar will they cut the caps?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The proof is in the pudding they say, except in this case, it would be the slum gum. With the SHF uncapper there is very little wax captured in the strainers as opposed to buckets of it using the knife or fork.
The bees make repairs easily.

Alex

Reactions: LBussy

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't have one but I would think that just piercing the cap would not allow all of the honey to be spun out. I have one of the roller piercers and it definitely leaves a honey residue in each cell. Totally cutting off the caps seems to be the most effective way to remove all of the honey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts