Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple Harmony Farms Uncapper

Really think that this uncapper might be something I could use. Any reviews from folks here who have used one. Saw the YouTube videos but would rather hear from someone here that has used one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There was a huge thread regarding this last year. Likely a good read for you.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I have a friend who is using one and loves it. For those with no real wax capping handling system, it is a real advantage as there is very little capping and honey to process.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use it. We have 4ish hives, so no need for high capacity equipment. It can be a little tricky on uneven frames, but overall I would recommend it

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use it. We have 4ish hives, so no need for high capacity equipment. It can be a little tricky on uneven frames, but overall I would recommend it
Thanks to all for the information and first hand reviews. Completed extraction on our hives yesterday so can save my pennies and get one for next year. Think it will fit our needs very well.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I ran 116 frames through mine yesterday. I love it and I could not run as many hives as I do by myself without some type of uncapping solution.

It is not perfect. I would say there are possibly two negatives: (1) I can probably do a better job of uncapping with my knife and scratcher. But only nominally. And if you want to pull out the scratcher after running it through the SHF uncapper, you could equalize that and still be world's faster; and (2) the SHF damages the cells more than cleanly cutting the cappings off with your knife. The bees build it back fairly quickly and seemingly easily. However, I don't know what type of "extra" work I am giving my bees in rebuilding the cells that my knife would prevent.

Advantages: (1) Speed, Speed, Speed. Absolutely no comparison. Each frame 10 to 15 seconds and into the extractor. It used to be that my uncapping could not keep up with my 18 frame extractor. Now my extractor cannot keep up with my uncapping. (2) Eliminates mounds of cappings to strain. After 116 frames yesterday, I was left with maybe a pound or two of cappings. Could have gathered it all in both hands. If you want wax to render for candles, then you might not want the SHF. I hope to never have to drain cappings again. (3) Wrists. The uncapping knife was brutal on my wrists and arms. I found it very hard to make it through 150+ frames in a single session. You can work the SHF literally all day.

BTW, I am the fat guy in the red shirt on the youtube video. Simple Harmony Farms Uncapper Product Review. 16:54. Sorry I can't access the link from my work computer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
psm1212,
Outstanding review - pros, cons, and great information. Thanks. Will look for the youtube video.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I have them on my website as well. SHF and myself are the only dealers selling them. Same price at both sites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts