Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if a person bought a few frames of HSC for an otherwise foundationless hive, but never went the extra step of rotating out the large-cell comb?

Would the regression still take place over a longer period of time?

Would you end up with mixed sized bees?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Teacher, is this a trick question?
Oh, ok. Well, if given the opportunity to lay in anything but HSC, I would say they would go that way. It takes them long enough to fall in love with the stuff anyway. I would guess that regression could take place but it may take a lot longer. If they did lay in the HSC, I would also assume that there could be bees of different sizes. A very thought provoking question. I would myself be afraid of varroa getting out of control before a full regression took place. But what do I know?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teacher, is this a trick question?
Oh, ok. Well, if given the opportunity to lay in anything but HSC, I would say they would go that way. It takes them long enough to fall in love with the stuff anyway. I would guess that regression could take place but it may take a lot longer. If they did lay in the HSC, I would also assume that there could be bees of different sizes. A very thought provoking question. I would myself be afraid of varroa getting out of control before a full regression took place. But what do I know?
Not a trick question... Perhaps a grossly ill-informed one.

I think I understand better now that the way to do this is to give no option but HSC, and remove any large comb they may build.

Did I get that right?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

It sounds like basically the same as starting from package. Given that I'd have no further use of the comb from their "old" hive, I think I'd crush it all up and give it back to them in a top-feeder.

Does this sound appropriate?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you mean give them back the wax...they won't use it. If it has honey in it they will clean it out but they will leave the wax.:)
Yea... basically give them what's there, let them clean the wax... remove for later melting down. It seems wasteful to just destroy the comb, but I guess that's what it's about.

Unless anyone can suggest a better course of action...?

Thanks for everyone's responses, BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts