Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some top feeders that are leaking. I was going to seal up the inside of them with clear silicone. Does anyone know if that will hurt the bees in any way? Remember that it will be in contact with the syrup in the feeder.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if silicone will hurt them, doubt others will know for sure either. There's pictures of honeybees chewing silicone off camper trailers and hauling it off in their pollen baskets. Why not use bees wax to seal them up?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dow Corning 786 Clear sealant is used in an underwater environment and is rated for contact with food. It does have a food grade fungicide though so I would avoid this near my bee feeder. Possibly an Aquarium rated clear silicone sealant?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dow Corning 786 Clear sealant is used in an underwater environment and is rated for contact with food. It does have a food grade fungicide though so I would avoid this near my bee feeder. Possibly an Aquarium rated clear silicone sealant?

GE Silicone I . Saltwater reef aquarium safe. My guess its also safe for bees.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2289883

You have to make sure the one you buy DOES NOT have MOLD resistance in it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nice article NW!
So it looks like if you want the very best use RTV108 12C and allow it to cure over 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice article NW!
So it looks like if you want the very best use RTV108 12C and allow it to cure over 2 weeks time.
Thats for the people that are doing large custom aquariuns. Most of what I built the cheep stuff did just fine. Just make sure to let it cure.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I used hardware store silicone on my feeders last year. Let it sit for week then fed syrup...no issue with syrup or bees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts