Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting hit hard on survival of hives - less than 20%. This years hives all died. Hives had good stores of honey and pollen. hives were normally active through the early fall. Queens OK. Treated with Ox acid the three times and screen boards were not showing a parasite infestation. With in two weeks, hives were all dead: bees piled on bottom and stuffed in the entrance. A few hundred bees were pushed out on the grass in front of the hive. No signs of bee poop on the hive exterior. This is the third year in a row I have had die offs like this ( although this year was the worst). I have used new wood and bought my starts from different suppliers. I really am at a loss as to what is knocking off my bees. Thank-you.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I hate to say this - I really do - but a report of hives being active and apparently thriving in early Autumn (Fall), only to collapse a few weeks later, does have that familiar ring of 'Varroa' about it.

When and how did you treat with OA ? Have you examined samples from your dead-outs for mites ?

Must be very disheartening ... sorry to hear about this.
LJ

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
A boatload of dead bees on the bottom board suggests a sudden failure. I usually find that a result of starvation and my second guess is mites. I know you said that they had ample stores and were treated for mites but these are the most likely culprits all the same, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Until some general location is identified, how can one even try suggesting anything?
We could be talking of beekeeping in Costa Rica.

raulattaturk: this is not the end of the world;
fyi - I had 18% coming out of the last season and it was good % for me (much better than 0% granted what I doing);
but again, without much context what answers do you expect?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Where are you located and do you work with a mentor

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Until some general location is identified, how can one even try suggesting anything?
The guy is talking about this year's bees, and makes reference to the Fall - therefore he's situated somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, and there isn't a single country in the Northern Hemisphere which isn't affected by the varroa mite, which I suggest from the description given is a strong favourite.

Use of the term "The Fall" strongly suggests location within the US.
LJ

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
The guy is talking about this year's bees, and makes reference to the Fall - therefore he's situated somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, and there isn't a single country in the Northern Hemisphere which isn't affected by the varroa mite, which I suggest from the description given is a strong favourite.

Use of the term "The Fall" strongly suggests location within the US.
LJ
That is true, LJ.
As well is true that the location can be anywhere from Alaska to Florida (all within the US).

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I suppose I inferred from statements like ‘hives were normally active through the early fall’ that the poster was somewhere temperate. All the same, a sudden collapse with dead bees piled up on the bottom board and filling the entrance, this time of year in a temperate climate, is often starvation, in my experience.

This time of year in Costa Rica....maybe pesticide. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts