Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is true that if you see fast moving bees running around inside that they are likely to be robbers? This is a short video of through the window that shows a few "runners" and also another of the front entrance in case it helps. I usually have another cork halfway in so they come in and out round the sides but the hive has been busy recently! There are often bees flying all around and on the hive, quite fuzzy looking though (new bees?) ,some wasps starting to show up too but only the odd one...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good question, they do seem to be rather excited both inside and at the entrance. Lot's of drone activity at the entrance also. Fuzzy bees may be just orienting (youngsters). I've never seen inside my hives like that, nice!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
If there are bees on the outside investigating cracks and holes other than the main entrance - those are robbers, and you have robbing going on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think this is anything like robbing; maybe a bee or 2 but this is certainly not a robbing episode. Once you experience one you will never forget what it's like. Think bee Armageddon; fighting at the entrance (which I see none) is the 1st sign, a bee inside, not really.

I'm uploading a robbing episode, it should be online shortly here:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for your answers, much appreciated.. so we are looking at some casual looting rather than bee-mageddon! I closed down the entrance again and rubbed loads of "vicks" on the cracks that the bees were investigating, it seemed to instantly confuse them. has anyone had success with this?

would also love to know if any others with observation windows see these inside runners and its relationship to robbing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I stuck duct tape over the cracks robbers were investigating. Had never heard of Vicks used in this fashion...I'll give that a whirl next time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting Buzz... will keep it in mind :) Pretty sure its not the case with this one as I have observed this happening now and again throughout the summer and no queen cells or even cups in site and loads of space.

As an update, the vicks seems to work reasonably well. Very few bees "on the run" now, but still the odd one, and a few probing outside still with the odd single wasp. A good addition to other anti-robbing measures though :)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
There is nothing in the first two videos that looks like robbing, the bees running inside the hive would have been attacked if they did not belong. They may just be trying to get through the glass which always confuse bees. The second video show bees confused at the entrance a few with pollen on their legs. Robbers don't bring pollen to their enemies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts