Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all five of the colonies I hatched my own grafted queens in and a few others I bought and put virgin queens in I’ve noticed the ones that successfully mated and returned the bees polished and cleared a large typical oval in the comb anticipating the laying. A few hives where there’s no queen returned there’s still chaotic nectar and pollen storing. My question is is a cleaned area for brood rearing an accurate sign everything is going as planned? I can easily spot eggs it’s not that they are there and I just didn’t notice i mean a good two to three days before the first eggs the brood best is cleaned out I’m just wondering if this is an accurate way to gauge the success.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think so. It seems like the larger the area the bees polish out the better the queen will be. It's always a good feeling when you open up the hive and see a large area polished out and a week or so later find an egg in every cell. My question is how do the bees know what their queen is capable of when she hasn't been mated yet? Are they just optimistic?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts