Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my excluder. I've been pondering on the posts the other day about turning the excluder 90 degrees. If turning the excluder gives the bees access through the sides, and the queen stays in the middle, why couldn't you cut the outside bars of the excluder to allow the workers easy access? It seems like turningit would give other things access to the inside of the hive.

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
This will only work if your using flat plastic or metal bound excluders. It will not work if using wood bound excluders as it would leave open access to the outside. Plastic is the best.

Technically speaking this would leave a space of about 1-1/2 inches to the front and back of the hive so bees can travel inside the hive wothout going through the excluder.

You could if you wanted, rig the woodbound excluders by opening up the sides (cutting) access areas. Never thought about it that way because I have always liked the flat excluders since I seem to get less burr comb.

I did think of cutting my excluders so they wouldn't stick out the inch or so when they are turned but wanted to leave them original so to use them both ways if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts