Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a opportunity to pick up a a used sideliner uncapper for $500. I have 20-25 hives most with two supers each, we currently use a hot knife, I know with expert hands it is a efficient way to uncap however we are looking for a easier way.
I currently have 10 frames per super but it would be easy to go with 9.
I have searched and searched for reviews on the sideliner but there is not very many first hand reviews. I am open to using a different system but I have never been around any uncappers so I really have no idea what direction to head in. I use a two frame extractor. For $500 I am leaning toward giving it a shot.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I haven't got one but I am a fan of tools to increase efficiencies. If you end up getting it, best keep your eyes open for a 20 frame motorized extractor. Once you have one of those, sump and pump and a large storage tank will come in handy. lol

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a steam powered jiggle knife myself which I love using, but when I was younger I worked for a guy who had 1 of them auto uncappers sure was nice. I forget what 1 he had now though.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Use the "search" function. Lots of discussion over the years. Here's one:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...deliner-Uncapper&highlight=sideliner+uncapper

$500 is probably what it should have been sold for brand new, instead of the $1200.

You might want to consider the Lyson Table Top Steam Uncapper ($375). Much fewer moving parts and adjustments. The downside is that the cut side faces downward, so you're making a blind cut. I have not personally used either of these uncappers. https://www.betterbee.com/uncapping-tools-and-equipment/lyhpw20960lnk.asp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the "search" function. Lots of discussion over the years. Here's one:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...deliner-Uncapper&highlight=sideliner+uncapper

$500 is probably what it should have been sold for brand new, instead of the $1200.

You might want to consider the Lyson Table Top Steam Uncapper ($375). Much fewer moving parts and adjustments. The downside is that the cut side faces downward, so you're making a blind cut. I have not personally used either of these uncappers. https://www.betterbee.com/uncapping-tools-and-equipment/lyhpw20960lnk.asp
Thanks for the reply, I had read that post earlier in the year but now that I have found a used one it was a nice refresher. It looks like the reviews are mixed. I am really torn, I really don't want to buy something we have to mess with and adjust and go back over the frames.
Assuming I skip the sideliner my options are...

Option A: Buy a 20 frame extractor, myself and my buddy can uncap with electric knifes and spin for 10 minutes while we take a break. I currently have a two frame little giant I spin with a drill.

Option B: Or buy the Maxant 1700 uncapper, my buddy can run that while I spin on the little giant.

I am leaning toward getting a big extractor, that way when we step up to the 1700 we will be ready.
Thoughts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a opportunity to pick up a a used sideliner uncapper for $500. I have 20-25 hives most with two supers each, we currently use a hot knife, I know with expert hands it is a efficient way to uncap however we are looking for a easier way.
I currently have 10 frames per super but it would be easy to go with 9.
I have searched and searched for reviews on the sideliner but there is not very many first hand reviews. I am open to using a different system but I have never been around any uncappers so I really have no idea what direction to head in. I use a two frame extractor. For $500 I am leaning toward giving it a shot.
Thanks for any advice
The sideliner uncapper works well if you are using frame spacers or spacing your frames in the honey supers 8 frames to a ten frame box or 7 frames to an eight frame box. The bees build the honey comb cells out well past the width of the frame bars. This allows for even and well uncapped cuttings into the comb cappings. If the honey frames are spaced 10 frames to a ten frame box or 8 frames to an eight frame box, the bees draw out the honey comb cells just even with or just under the width of the frame bars which requires scratching the honey cells that do not get cut open or you can use a spike roller. The frames have to be run in the extractor longer to get as much of the honey out of the frames as opposed to frames that have the cappings cut off. The side liner uncapper does make for faster and more uncapping frames but there are better systems out there. For $500 that is a cost effective step in the right direction as your apiary grows but eventually you will want to get a knife type uncapper that removes the cappings layer on spaced out frames to get the best production efficiency. I would offer the seller $400 and see what they say. :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Have you looked into the Harmony Farms uncapper? I don't have one, but I hear they work well. I believe member SNL sells them.

Alex

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a steam powered jiggle knife myself which I love using, but when I was younger I worked for a guy who had 1 of them auto uncappers sure was nice. I forget what 1 he had now though.
Hi Jeremy, I've been playing with the thought of building a jiggle knife. I've had a hard time finding many pictures of them online though, especially close ups. Would you be able to provide some pictures of your set up, specifically of how the motor is attached to the knife. How do you like it? I saw some videos of them in action and they seem really good, I'm surprised they aren't more popular.

Thank you,
Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts