Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say right off that this is just an exercise in bee observation. I have no expectation of saving this particular bee, just observing and using it as a learning experience and an exercise in photography. If it stops raining we'll probably release it on a nice flower to die naturally.

My wife found this bee hanging on to a windshield wiper. It is possible she hit it but we don't see any injury. The bee looked dead at first but moved when she touched it. She brought it inside, stuck it in a jar, and offered it a droplet of honey. It fed ravenously. This is not one of our bees, but a "city bee" from a residential small city/suburban environment.

It can't fly, is clumsy and falls on its back a lot, but it remains active. Last night there was a heckuva rainstorm here so it is possible it just got caught out in a storm. And, of course, it could just be on its retirement flight, although the wings are not tattered.

The most telling symptom is that the proboscis is hanging out continuously. As I understand it this can be a symptom of pesticide poisoning.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose this problem?

RescueBee 008.jpg

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sad, but unsurprised, to announce the passing of a faithful and hard-working bee. She served her hive diligently to the last. She passed away with full crop and in a warm and dry environment, and not in a cold rain on an uncomfortable windshield wiper.

In leiu of flowers, her family requests that you plant some.

Thinking back, my wife and I noticed, upon coming home from our WV cabin and apiary on Monday, that the community notice board said that they were going to spray the neighborhood a day or so later. We remember being startled by the news ... we don't recall this ever being done before and meant to find out just why this was being done. But considering the way some lawn and landscaping companies like to talk people in to killing all bugs, maybe we should not be surprised. So I guess now we need to attend a landscaping committee meeting and find out just what was behind this decision. I'm prejudiced enough to want to say "numbskull decision."

·
Registered
779 Posts
What a kind eulogy, R.I.P. bee.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The concern, of course, is what else they killed. Most people, if they have an ounce of good sense, are kind of fond of pollinators. One of our favorites around here is the hummingbird clearwing. We also usually have a nice mix of butterflies, including Tiger Swallowtails. All have been seen around here in the last week or so. And then what are the birds supposed to eat?

My wife is a Master Gardener, and has already about had it with the HOA management company's lawn policies. If they've wiped the pollinators out, the landscaping committee is going to get SUCH an earful ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts