Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok might up set few people on this posting ,
Being realistic , lang stroth design , has been around for a long time! ! It is a great hive !, it is 1/2 to 3/4 boards and was designed 80 plus years ago in a specific area, its popularity grew because of ease to use ,

So we do not live in our great grand parents homes built a 100 plus years ago! We all have evolved, meaning we live in insulated super good sense homes , yet bees are expected to live in hives that were designed to be in southern mild climates , then bees die after a cold wet winter while we all live in super good sense homes , then some people are so dense. They live in nice warm house! Then their bees that are in northern climates , die (winter kill , weakened because of chemicals, really ?

Would you let your parents , or kids live in a un insulated house ? Us as bee keepers have to open our eyes ! Some hives are design for warmer climates, I am just saying for colder climates maybe us hobbyist should take common sense pill , yes it's cheap for lang stroth hive , but we should step up for the bees ,

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
Please feel free to share photos and plans of the hives you design. There is a lot of interest in the idea of insulated hives, but the idea itself is not new. In fact, it has been around for about as long as great granddad's house. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Heck, I'd prefer to live in a home designed like the 'old' homes, they were so practical. And I prefer a small home, and a LARGE yard. I HATE to see all the McMansions that are being built on little tiny postage stamp lots. Most of the Northern keeps add some sort of insulation in winter. I have rigid foam insulation I use, fits over the hive. Next year I may end up replacing them, they've gotten a little beat up and cannibalized. They work great.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I've heard it said that "those who claim to know what is right for others are the most dangerous people in the world" - but personally, I just find them a little annoying.

LJ (who hates central heating and fitted carpets with a passion)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm confused - are you looking for pictures, or just ranting?

BTW - many of us in the colder north insulate our hives for the winter. It really isn't that tough to add it when needed, and take it away when not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts