Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a super strong hive for my first hive this year, however in August I lost my queen. After re-queening the hive I've been checking every 10 days or so to make sure she's laying well before the weather turns. This past Friday (about 3 wks post re-queening) I had a really weird inspection - after I smoked the inner cover I opened up the hive body and the bees were TOTALLY silent....it really freaked me out! There was brood and lots of bees, they just made no noise. Is this normal? After the very angry sounds they made when I inspected after losing the queen maybe I'm just not remembering what healthy bees sound like...
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Late summer with a dearth, drones and no queen -- loud
Early Fall with good queen, low drone counts, fall flow -- quiet

I would think it was pretty normal. Then again maybe you lost your hearing in that frequency range....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know...
I have been thoroughly enjoying watching the ladies kick out the drones for the past few weeks. Who knew they could be so forceful!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good to know...
I have been thoroughly enjoying watching the ladies kick out the drones for the past few weeks. Who knew they could be so forceful!!
It reminds me of watching 2 club bouncers hauling some rowdy drunk outside and kicking him to the curb. I do "feel" bad for the drones though...they don't know how to feed themselves, can't go home to their mother...admit it, it is a *little* sad.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It reminds me of watching 2 club bouncers hauling some rowdy drunk outside and kicking him to the curb. I do "feel" bad for the drones though...they don't know how to feed themselves, can't go home to their mother...admit it, it is a *little* sad.
Drones that don't leave, are killed, those that leave, starve to death. I think it's a lot sad... mother nature can be very mean. Like male lions killing cubs, because the cubless females will come into season....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts