Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried a walk away split. I took 2 frames of eggs/larvae, 2 frames of capped brood, 1 frame pollen and nectar, and shook 2 frames of extra bees into a 8 frame deep. I know the idea of the walk away split is to check after 4 weeks for a laying queen. Is there any reason to check on things beforehand? I don't want to disturb the bees natural process, but I also don't want to ignore any issues that could arise in the meantime. What is your policy?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I generally go into the hive at about 2 weeks to make sure they aren't hungry, out of food. If so I add a hiney frame, and pollen patty. Also, being very gentle, I look for a queen cell or newly hatched queen. I also if it looks week add a frame of capped brood if they are needed. Mine usually turn out good like this, I do start with about four frames of bees, and 1 frame of eggs, larve, and resources plus the honey frames. Give em more than they need, and very good pip of bees from the start. Workers fly back home, nurse bees turn to workers, and you need a good pop of nurse bees to keep it going till that queen is mated and you got capped brood. Hope this helps. Rich

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I generally go into the hive at about 2 weeks to make sure they aren't hungry, out of food. If so I add a hiney frame, and pollen patty. Also, being very gentle, I look for a queen cell or newly hatched queen. I also if it looks week add a frame of capped brood if they are needed. Mine usually turn out good like this, I do start with about four frames of bees, and 1 frame of eggs, larve, and resources plus the honey frames. Give em more than they need, and very good pip of bees from the start. Workers fly back home, nurse bees turn to workers, and you need a good pop of nurse bees to keep it going till that queen is mated and you got capped brood. Hope this helps. Rich
You can go back in on day 4 and cull capped cells if you doubt the bees choice of starting cells on three day old larvae. I have not found that to be the case so dont worry about that but you might decide to cull some if there seem to be too many. You can also map where they are located on different frames and perhaps steal one before emergence date to start another mating nuc. That gives you a hedge in case the single surviving virgin fails to mate.

There does not seem to be much written about concern for disturbing the bees as in a package install or during queen introduction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts