Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our bees had a slow start this spring and their hive is only two mediums. They still have two empty frames to fill in the top box although they seem to be healthy, are bringing in pollen after a bit of a pollen dearth, and we are having plenty of orientation flights in the afternoons. I had read that it's better for the bees not to have to patrol too much space because it makes it harder for them to control small hive beetles and because we do see a few each time we change the sugar water bottles resting on the upper frames we are not sure what to do. Should we add another super at this time?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
323 Posts
This time of year we are normally focused on condensing the hive, not expanding it. I would not add any additional boxes unless your hive is boiling with bees. Just make sure you keep an eye on their feed to make sure you are not over feeding them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not sure on that one Mr. A. EmilyJane is down in Mississippi, probably doesn't get much of a winter like we do up north. If the bee population, the temperature and the forage are there, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate your comments and thank you for them! It looks like we need to get some advice from local beekeepers regarding what forage is available for the bees during the fall and winter here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not in Mississippi but I would want more info about why the colony is only in 2 mediums? Could just be a late start, or there is something else that needs to be addresses....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts