Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 hives. This past weekend we did some manipulations on several of them. This one started doing this the next day and has done it each day this week. It donated two frames that had eggs to two others, one each. This is about the same amount of bearding we saw when we used maqs. They should have plenty of space still with the new foundation.

It just bothers us since none of the other 6 are bearding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I wouldn't worry. Any chance they had a recent big hatch? Some hives beard and others don't. Or it could be something as small as this hive having a bit tighter seams so there is a little less air getting in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What's the weather like? do you use a slatted rack?
Not OP, but I have two hives with a slatted rack and one without. I do observe the one without the slatted rack to be the one to beard. Is this a common observation of slatted racks? I always figure they must be bearding on the rack instead of the landing board.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did have a lot of capped brood in there. The entrance is maybe 3 inches, guess I could open it up a bit.

I have solid boards on all 7.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Open the entrances and put a paint stir stick under the backside of the telescoping top to lift it up an 1/8th of an inch. See if you have as much bearding then. This is one of the reasons I use screened bottom boards, although one hive at the end of a row that catches the afternoon sun still beards a little.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As weak as the hives were, id not open up the entracces much more than we did. It will promote robbing. Most of these hives were queenless, and had to share brood from 1 hive that qas the strongest of the 7. Each only had a frame of brood, and and a small frame with minimal eggs. In hopes of getting a queen made. Also, the extra boxes were removed, so they could hopefully proyect their space. Most only had 2 or 3 frames of bees, and 2 or three boxes. The only thing needed was to wait a week, and hopefully see a queen cell forming. Then close it up, and let em be for 3 to 4 weeks if you saw a queen cell, or one forming. Lots of empty frames in there. They can build them after the population builds up after a queen comes back. You will need to add a frame of bees to each of these boxes, as you can. About every week and a half. So, you don't Rob the good one out. If ya need , you can call anytime. Rich

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Sorry, I had assumed these were healthy and robust hives. JSneed, listen to Rich. He has had eyes on your hives and can provide you with the best advice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not OP, but I have two hives with a slatted rack and one without. I do observe the one without the slatted rack to be the one to beard. Is this a common observation of slatted racks? I always figure they must be bearding on the rack instead of the landing board.
That is the point of the slatted rack. It provides a place for them to hangout inside the hive, without having to crowd in among the brood nest. Really don't want them sweaty old gruff foragers sleeping in among the brood anyway :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Rich, but we didn’t move any entrance reducers and we only took frames from the two strongest hives to boost the others and give them some eggs to requeen. And only two hives had more than one box. Only one had three. Are you confusing us with the other yard you visited last weekend?🙃

·
Registered
978 Posts
No James not confused. This is based on what I found when I got there to your house. After inspections there were correct amount of boxes on your hives, adequate entrances space for them to defend, and awaiting on a virgin queen, if there was one out matining to come back, or to make a queen cell. Otherwise fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts