Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should cull my drone brood in preparation for the spring honey flow. Will the bees produce more honey with or without the drones?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Personally, I leave drone comb and drone brood alone. Bees usually convert drone comb to storage once they have enough drones raised. If you take out drone brood and comb, the bees will keep trying to raise some. As a result you may end up with drone brood in the supers unless you use an excluder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last year, my beekeeping sensei cut out the drone comb and my total honey crop was 48 kilograms. This was from one hive. I have read that the bees are more calm and satisfied when they have the drones around so I'm going to let them stay this year and compare. Thank you for your comments!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are your bees the native Japanese Honey Bee? Since they have different behaviors, foraging, and hiving attributes I wonder if the drone balance is the same as the American/European bees.

Thanks for any replies, always interested in hearing about other bee types.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Sensie's are where its at. How much is drone? I suppose your on natural cell? Unless on stamped/embossed cell they build back drones to 20-30% of population.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using Italians. They are quite popular here in Japan. I'm going to try and catch a swarm of Japanese bees this spring so I can study and observe them. I've got my swarm traps ready to go!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sensei is a very nice older gentleman . He has over 40 hives and produces over 1000 kilos of honey every year. I'm very blessed to have him help me here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts