Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a package of bee the middle of April. They are doing really good and wondered if I should try a split this year or not. They are in 2 deeps about 2/3 to 3/4 full of brood and stores and 2 mediums about 2/3 full of honey. I am a first year beek and have 3 nucs I bought as well. 1 is about 3 weeks old and the other 2 are about 2 week old. The bee bug has bitten me and I would like to expand but I don't want to go to quickly.:s

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So you have 4 new hives that are growing and doing well so far?
Personally, I'd be happy with that until next Spring and I'd spend my time now learning about and working with those 4 hives.
Don't forget that if any or all of them come through winter really strong, you may need to split them next Spring in order to discourage their swarming. In other words, you might wind up splitting/doubling your hives next year anyway, and then you'll have your hands full! :D
Ask yourself how many hives you think you'd like overall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd recommend waiting as well, so that you will have all the frames of honey and pollen you'll need to have really strong splits in the spring. Also, make your mistakes now while %50 losses are only 2 hives. If you manage to pull 4 strong colonies through the winter up there, they should be more than ready for you to double up, or more.

I'd consult with members of a local association and get a feel for what blooms are going to be and for duration. I say all this coming from Florida where we are heading into a July/August dearth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts