Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first year with 2 packs per hive - 2 hives
condition: 1 deep with really good brood with edge honey; 1 med with good start of brood with honey; 1 med with all honey. (8 frames).
Option 1) take all honey in top and return comb.
2) take all honey and replace with foundation and save comb.
3) add box of foundation under top box and leave honey
4) do something else

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you were in my area I would say leave the two mediums for the bees. Since I'm not and I am not familiar with your area, I will have to defer to someone in your region.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oldforte,
Yule's advise is certainly sound. Local direction is best.
That being said, since you're in Nashville you are probably looking at 90 days before the weather gets cold, and 120 days before "winter". I would extract the medium of capped honey and return the drawn/wet comb to the bees, provided you didn't feed the bees this year and what you've got is really honey. I would monitor the hive in about six weeks and see what was going on. If it didn't appear that they were restocking very quickly I would start to feed. It would be great for them to go into winter with a deep and two mediums full of stores. But I sure hate to see 40 pounds of honey just sitting there unloved in mid July! My $.02

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I agree that you need to determine how much stores they need for winter and make sure they have enough. Local advice is best here.

Nashville winters are not too terribly tough though, I imagine they need a lot less there than in PA for instance.

I lean toward taking the honey now and feeding later in the fall if necessary.

Just remember if you take all their honey now and they starve to death in the winter, that is cruel treatment and you are supposed to be their caretaker. Be sure they have enough stores in the fall and all will be well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts