Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to subscribe to one and want to know more. Is there another publication I should consider as well?
I'm a fairly advanced hobby level beek with interest in increase, queen rearing, biology, hive products, pollinator health and have a very strong interest in observation hives.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
They are both valuable tools, taking different approaches. BC seems to be oriented to IPM methods and publishes a lot of links to studies regarding same. ABJ looks at treating and treatment -free approaches. You can get either as digital editions. BC distributes some of their articles in email newsletters, ABJ simply issues the monthly magazine.

I'm subscribed to ABJ digital.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Too bad he didn't post links to the studies. I'd like to see who funded the research and the methods used. I am becoming a skeptic of "science" funded by Big Ag companies that sell products recommended by the study, or government "science" done that benefits big political donors like the "research" that pushes vaccinations of little value, or drugs that are causing more harm than good (statins, for instance) but benefits Big Pharma. Wonder if there was a distance at which the bees don't usually communicate with neighboring colonies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I subscribe to AMJ. I like to keep up on the new information about beekeeping on diseases and various other topics. However, if you need to focus on certain topics, I would buy beekeeping books on Amazon. Beekeeping books are going up in value all the time but they are defiantly worth the money especially Richard Taylors' books.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like both and have subscribed to both this past year. Both are very informative. If I was going to pick only one I would go with BC.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I "inherited" several boxes of old ABJ's & Gleanings in Bee Culture early in my beekeeping career. 20-30 years worth of each. I recall sitting down & reading a half dozen a night at times, cataloging approaches & ideas that took my fancy.

I came to prefer Gleanings. They were both good.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Both publications are worth while and each has information the other doesn't. To my mind, ABJ is more oriented to commercial beekeeping while BC leans more toward the hobbyist. What do you want out of your magazine? (aside from the topics you listed) BC has some in depth articles written by qualified but not well known folks on topics like over wintering, while you will probably recognize the names of the authors in ABJ. Randy Oliver, as an example, appears in ABJ exclusively. (BC or at least Editor Kim Flottum has some sort of relationship with Mother Earth News. At least he is/has been a featured speaker at their fairs - he was in the past heavily involved with EAS)

Consider Bee Craft from Britain, available exclusively electronically here in North America.

Also consider membership in IBRA (International Bee Research Association) and get Bee World and depending how you setup your membership, access to the Journal of Apicultural Research.

I subscribe to all and am behind on my reading.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Too bad he didn't post links to the studies. I'd like to see who funded the research and the methods used. I am becoming a skeptic of "science" funded by Big Ag companies that sell products recommended by the study, or government "science" done that benefits big political donors like the "research" that pushes vaccinations of little value, or drugs that are causing more harm than good (statins, for instance) but benefits Big Pharma. Wonder if there was a distance at which the bees don't usually communicate with neighboring colonies?
Subscribe to BCs newsletter free. As I said, BC is oriented to treatment free and IPM. Not big ag.

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
Why subscribe to ABJ online?

Because the cost is a pittance. Most people would thoughtlessly spend that much on a couple coffees or beers. No point spending hours deliberating if it's worth it.

If you have "interest in increase, queen rearing, biology, hive products, pollinator health", ABJ is for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts