Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one hive has currently filled up 2 full deeps. I'm about to throw a medium super on top and I was wondering should I stop feeding? I've been doing a 1:1 since day one to encourage comb drawing and keep the bees full, but now that I'm about to add the super I don't want them to store the sugar water .... But I still want them to draw comb out in the new super.

I guess my main question is will they draw comb without feeding sugar water in a super?

Bee novice here. Be nice :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
STOP FEEDING WHEN YOU PUT A super on. You don't want sugar syrup in the super. They will draw out the wax when you have a flow on, they draw wax when they need "ROOM" for the Honey. They know what they are doing. It is a little confusing in your first year, not having drawn comb for them to use but after your first year you should have drawn comb to use. Protect your drawn comb with you LIFE, Ha Ha. Once you get drawn comb in the 10 frames, you can space out your frames to 9 frames and they will draw them out even farther. This makes it easier to Uncap when you Extract your Honey. Drawn Comb is very valuable in terms of the Bee's not having to draw it out each time that they need it.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
If both bottom boxes are full of stored honey and syrup, they may not want to go up into that super! Especially if you put on a queen excluder before the bees start up above. Like the man said, push the frames tight together for best results. Stop feeding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts