Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4-1/2 drawn out empty supers in the freezer. I should be able to put supers on at least 6 hives this year. Each will probably fill up at least 2 supers. Should I stagger the drawn with new foundation. drawn/foundation Super setup would be f/d/f/d/f/d/f/d/f on a 9 frame super.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Shaving frames to 1 1/4" and drawing 11 in a box is even better. intermingling it is a recipe for poorly drawn comb. If it is all deeps, you could consider putting your foundation a frame at a time between frames of capped brood. It will be drawn beautifully but the queen will lay eggs in it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep all fdn together and take out the 9 frame spacer to get good combs.
I don't use a spacer. I just try to eyeball a good spacing for 9 frames.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Don't stagger. If you do they will ignore the F's and make the D's so wide that you will not be able to get them out without damaging them as they scrape on the top bars of the adjacent F's.
Then we might a few F's from you.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To split up my D. Should I do f/f/d/d/d/d/f/f/f Or how would y'all do it?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
You should put all foundation in the same box. If you have a partial box of drawn comb, reserve it until the bees draw the center frames of another box and then put it in service and refill the other box with more foundation. Only put foundation on when the bees are producing surplus wax during a flow. You can tell when that is because they will start coating top bars with white wax just to use it up.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
It sounds to me like you are using these for honey supers not brood so I would let the hive fill up the top box with honey and then pull up these frames to stagger the 1/2 drawn frames. The next box you can introduce the foundation the same way. In the brood chamber you can compress the frames together and even shave them down to 1 1/4 because they will not make the comb longer than a bee.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I didn't have a problem during the middle of flow, the combs were drawn out pretty evenly

During fall feeding they chose to extend the already drawn out combs before working on plain foundation. Some frames more than others. . The comb was not wild by any means, just too wide. Not really a big deal, but next year will probably just put the drawn stuff on the outside as mike recomends.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Great thread! I had been pondering if/how I should mix my new foundation frames with my existing drawn comb this coming spring when I add 4 new NUCs to my yard.

In anticipation of a great second year as I am an eternal optimist, I have built 30 new medium supers w/foundation to go along with my 20 existing supers w/drawn comb (which are currently in the freezer). My initial plan is to put all drawn comb on my exiting 4 hives and place the new foundation supers on my 4 new hives as needed. This way I'll have honey to pull in early June from my 4 existing hives and then pull again in mid July from my new hives (as I did last year with my then 4 new NUC-initiated hives).

Is this a good plan or should I use the above dd/fff/dd strategy for all my 7-frame supers? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
burns brings up a very good point, that's why I recommend you don't stagger them. If I only have a few drawn out frames I do it like Mr. Palmer. Put the drawn out frames together or on the outside. Put the ones you want drawn out in the middle. The drawn comb brings them up quicker but, they don't like empty space in the middle of the hive so they get to working on the middle frames faster.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Berryfarm I wouldn't run a super one frame short with plain foundation in any of the frames. Get them drawn out first and then remove one. Keep the frames tight together until they are drawn out. JMHO

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks Johng for catching that! I had heard that before and I definitely only plan to make 7-frame supers with drawn comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
>Don't stagger. If you do they will ignore the F's and make the D's so wide that you will not be able to get them out

And after you do, the way to get them out is to flip the box upside down and pull the box off of the frames... and then remember not to do it again...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts