Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 First year hives, from packages, 1 is booming constantly bearding and hanging overall seems packed. It is 8 frame 2 deeps, Q/E 1 med Super just about filled. I feel like they are crammed in even in yesterdays storm they were on the front getting soaked. Still feeding to help draw out foundations.

Should I split the hive so they have time to get going before winter? New hive with old Queen , and existing hive will make new Queen?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
CBR, why not just give them more room?
either on top a second super, or Nadir a 3 deep under the stack.

to me it is a bit long in the tooth for a split, unless you can use a purchased Queen.

GG

·
Registered
613 Posts
Remove the QE, there is no value to it if you are feeding. Then add another super under the one you got.

What are your plans for the super full of sugar syrup?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can add a 2nd super I guess. I never thought about a 3rd deep. I wasn't sure about heading into fall winter with such a big hive. I worry about the bees being able to keep it warm and find their food in a big hive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the QE, there is no value to it if you are feeding. Then add another super under the one you got.

What are your plans for the super full of sugar syrup?
Hadn't thought about that sugar full super. Feed it to the bees I guess I didnt have any drawn foundation so thats why Ive been feeding them.

Still learning First year

·
Registered
613 Posts
You can add boxes now, then reduce in a month or so. Just keep in mind that the "honey" in the boxes is not honey.

I'd put the extra box, quit feeding, and see what happens. In a month, you can uncap the sugar frames, and set them on top of your inner covers of both hives, and the bees will pull the syrup down into the hive. Then reduce back to double deeps on both hives for winter.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You actually could continue with the QE if you prefer. It would keep the brood out of the supers and make cleaner comb. But I believe they aggravate overcrowding.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
635 Posts
3rd yr 6a- You're already in conversation with some very knowledgeable posters. My own 2 cents- you're doing great feeding them and getting them to draw comb. Well done. Decide what your winter configuration is going to be and be sure they have that drawn. (Sounds like that goal is done) So unless your comb is dry and they are hungry I'm with bushpilot on taking the feed off. I'm still feeding pollen patties though and they are consuming them with great enthusiasm.

I removed QE's this year and I'm very happy with the result. I run a medium, deep, medium config and the queen is staying in the deep even though she can go where she pleases. Management is not harder. I would continue to add boxes for comb building to give a large colony space but would not split. Sage advice has already been given.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts