Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one hive, first year beek installed 5 frame nuc in may...did a full inspection today, found mom (pic below-sorry for the quality still playing with macro), lots of capped and a few uncapped brood, lots of nectar, not too much capped honey, but i didn't see eggs, should i be seeing eggs this time of year? (on long island) FWIW i didnt see pollen either but the girls are definitely coming in with it, maybe too preoccupied with finding her majesty...breed: long island mutts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
You should see a few. You might have missed them. Nonetheless, you saw the queen and didn't see any active or capped queen cells. I'd say they are doing fine. Are they in a double deep and how strong does the overall population strength look?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I sometimes have trouble finding eggs as they are hard o see. You seen the queen, capped , and uncapped brood. That would be good enough for me. Especially differient stages of brood.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I usually look for the 3-5 day old brood. I have a hard time seeing eggs especially through the veil. I am getting better at spotting them. I saw a decent amount of eggs today upon inspection of my 6 hives. This New England has been VERY HOT summer. We usually cool down this time of year but the next 6 days are in the 90's. If bees react to temperature more that photo period, she should keep laying for some time more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts