Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the forum and came across this thought or idea, that you should requeen your captures or swarms with known European honeybee queens rather than take a chance on AHB.

I've done a lot of cutouts/captures/swarm removals and many of those bees bump my continually when I am in the yard. I don't dare let my veil down for a moment. Here are my questions on the pros/cons.

Pros: These are survivor bees, resistant to disease and pests. They've survived without any human assistance and as such are strong stock.

They could potentially produced alot of honey for me.

Cons: They tend to be aggressive, they bump me constantly and tend to be touchy. Might have some aggressive strains in them.

What is everyone's opinion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well thats up to you. If you feel the bees are agressive and hot and you don't like them then go and re queen and in two months problem solved and you know were the queen came from.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If the bees are not stinging you why are you worried about it? What is bumping? If bees are aggressive they sting. You're working with stinging insects here; you're never going to change that with bees. The gentlest of hives will still get you a sting or 2 or more when you work them. If the bees come up in a cloud and attack you by stinging, then you have a problem hive which should be requeened. I'd be real happy if all I got were "bumps." :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the bees have good "survivor" genetics, why give all that up?

Do you ever wash your beesuit? Could it be that you're going into the bee yard reeking of alarm pheramone or squished bees? Maybe the problem can be solved by doing laundry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you like the genes perhaps you may want a virgin queen from someone else. You might try MIKES BEES AND HONEY he's on the web, or some other bee supplier closer to you and you may be able to buy a virgin queen in the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts