Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 3lb package 11 days ago in my top bar hive along with 3 bar cut down frames of comb and one of honey. on day 2 i gave them syrup. Checking back on day 9 I saw they had only taken half a jar so I took it out thinking they didn't really want it.

The odd thing is that there was probably only three forrageable days in that time. The thing that concerns me is that coming up the forcast is all rain for the next week. Should I try and feed them again? What if i added a drop of lemon grass oil to encourage them? Since they haven't drawn should I worry about them back filling?

I'm probably over thinking this. ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Don't know about WA, but my new hives won't take any now that the flow is full on. I'm in Florida.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They pretty much missed sakura (do they visit those?) which was huge right before I got my package and the rain prevented all but a couple days. Basically I'm not sure if a flow has started because it's been too cold and rainy most days for them to forage. I do see some trees as well as random landscaping plants blooming.

They have about 6.5 combs drawn out. The cut down medium frame of honey looks to be about half gone, but it may have been redistributed because the 4 combs in front of it (i didn't inspect the last comb since I found the queen and eggs on the second to last comb) had some honey in there on top, presumably so that honey would be above brood.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah my last hive took syrup no matter what. Reading another thread I realized that we hadn't had many days over 55F, so they may have just been clustered an too cold to want to visit the syrup for most of the day.

I'm keeping a close eye on them and they have some honey so they won't starve and monday/tuesday should be really nice for foraging so maybe I'll just reassess then. I'm actually staring to get more concerned about pollen since i didn't really see any on my last inspection and they're trying to raise brood.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey cnt,

I am in your end of the world! I am light feeding my hives, with quart feeders to help them through the off days (weather) that we are getting through. They are taking about 1 quart every 3 days or so when it's 55 plus. I am seeing a lot of pollen coming in on all my hives (U.P., Puyallup)..I have three overwintered hives, and 7 Nuc's that I've installed in the last two weeks with a lot of drawn comb with leftovers to give in the add on boxes...P.M. if you'd like to talk local...

If you want a good local recipe for a protein supplement take a look at post #15 here from Laurie Miller (who is also in our end of the world):

http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...cts-like-Mann-Lake-Ultra-bee&highlight=recipe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts