Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought used hives and requeen all of them this spring, about a week later i went through all hives and either found babies or the queen so I know she was there. About a month rolled by and I saw no improvement with one hive so I went through it ( very small population) so no queen, but a few (very few) capped brood, so I let it ride. I've gone back and found 2 queen cells both empty, still very little population, just a few capped cells. Should I requeen again or wait to see if one of these queens is about to take off laying babies?

·
Registered
429 Posts
when did you find the queen cells, it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for a virgin queen to mature mate and start laying.( weather and temp BIG factor) if you found the queen cells a month ago or more, you will likely need to requeen. if less, give her a week or so to get going. but that is just MHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found them probably a week ago, can you recognize a new queen? I looked and with no more bees than I have I thought i would find her but didn't, I guess she could have been on her flight? I'll wait and look again in a few days, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts