Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a warm day yesterday here in the Southeast so I checked my colonies and fed them. A couple hives were super small and had maybe 2 frames of bees. We are getting close to spring but Feb and March can still have some pretty chilly weather. Should I move them from a 10 frame box to a nuc on the next warm day or roll the dice and leave them how they are and hope they make it?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
if you have the NUC boxes and the day is warm sure.
Or a divider but that has space to allow critter to move in.

GG

·
Registered
584 Posts
If they are in one box (if you have two or three) you could probably remove extra empty boxes. I wouldn't go pulling out frames of bees unless it was over 65F degrees out. If you do plan on removing anything, just make sure that it's empty.

You could use a follower board as well which is basically a frame sized wall that you can use to turn a regular box into a nuc (or any size you want for that matter).

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Moving to a nuc box is wise. Just beeless frames around cluster and move the frames with bees in one piece if you can. aof course, fill the area in the nuc around those frames with more frames. Reduce the entrance to about two bees wide and FGS no sbb or other scheme that reduces the hives abilty to control their environment. A soundboard or epe insulation top to seal that relatively huge air leak after the propolis seal was broken is also wise. The bees need BTU's to make more bees! I have also had success putting a doublescreen over a strong hive and setting the struggler on top to give them a temperature boost. They need an entrance provided though. Good luck.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
746 Posts
Boy I like the idea of leaving what you have in place and removing extra frames and making them snug with follower boards. Kind of like a nuc within a 10 frame. I'd also see if you can put insulation outside the follower boards within the hive for less empty space. It might be less disruptive and give them less space to regulate. Nice ideas above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts